Monday 11 April 2011

Important Date: 11th April

Today's entry in the Golden Text Book is for Isaiah Chapman. I think that's a great name. Unfortunately, I don't think he is a relative. I haven't come across any Chapmans in my family research so far. I do remember my mum talking about a Miss Chapman who was a friend of her parents. I got the impression that she thought my mum and her siblings were very naughty children.

I can find an 1891 census entry for an Isaiah Chapman living in the Headingley cum Burley (Kirkstall) area of Leeds where my mother's family lived. Married to a Sarah Chapman, he was born in Cambridgeshire and had a son called Fred. They lived at 7 Albert Terrace (again an address connected with my family). Isaiah is recorded as a forgeman, I presume working at Kirkstall Forge and his son is a boot riveter. These details would seem to confirm that this is the Isaiah in the GTB.

No comments:

Post a Comment