Sunday 10 April 2011

Important Dates

Last year I told you about a little book of birthdays and important dates that I'd found called the Golden Text Book. My great grandfather, Alfred Lockwood gave it to my great grandmother, Eliza Thackeray. It appears to have been used by Alfred for recording birthdays before he gave it to his future wife so it's a very valuable record of past family members. It contains many many names, some of which I can match to my family tree, others which I can't, either because they're family friends, historical figures or ancestors I haven't traced yet.

I thought it would be interesting to discuss the entries for each day here on this blog. Some dates are blank but the majority bear a name (or two). With hindsight, I should have started this on 1st January but starting on 10th April will have to suffice. I'll still run this feature for an entire year, taking in all the dates.

Today's name is Mary Ainley. There are quite a lot of Mary Ainley's in my family tree, seven in all, born between 1800 and 1872. These are all on my mother's side of the family. I have complete dates of birth for three of these and of the four for whom I only have years of birth, I can't track down the actual date in the year they were born so at the moment I have no match for the Mary in the GTB.

One thing that is clear from the recording of her name is how large a family Alfred came from. He was a Lockwood. His cousins were the Lodges who were ultimately connected to the Ainleys.

I'll share more important dates with you as they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment